It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 5:56PM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: No LAN in SC2
PostPosted: Tue 06-30-2009 9:08AM 
Major

Source: Off Campus
http://www.gossipgamers.com/starcraft-2 ... y-footage/
http://starcraft2.ingame.de/kommentare. ... 91890&s=82

Blizzard just recently confirmed that there will be no LAN (local area networking) game mode in StarCraft 2. This was confirmed in a interview with Rob Pardo, senior VP of game design at Blizzard Entertainment. Rob Pardo stated:

“we don’t have any plans to support LAN,” he said and clarified “we will not support it.” The only multiplayer available will be on Battle.net.

Later on, IncGamers also got a clarification from Blizzard, saying the choice of excluding a LAN feature:

“is because of the planned technology to be incorporated into Battle.net.”

This is a big gamble for Blizzard since there are a lot of gamers out there that still use LAN to play with their friends. Also, note that Blizzard will not be porting the game to consoles. Still, no confirmation on the release date for StarCraft 2.

Post subject: Re: No LAN in SC2
PostPosted: Tue 06-30-2009 10:19AM 
Lieutenant

Seems to me like that makes playing without actually owning the game (as I know was common with Starcraft for LAN games) much more difficult and only makes playing with friends on a LAN who do own the game ever so slightly more difficult. Most of the time we'd all get on Battle.net anyways to play, even if we were all on the LAN. So, from Blizzard's perspective it's a win-win basically, I think. And for me, personally, it's not a big deal, either way.

PostPosted: Tue 06-30-2009 11:17AM 
Brigadier General

Source: Fidelity
I saw that, from what I gathered the game would still be over a LAN (Lan speeds) but it needs to be setup through their servers.

Hope we can get this soon.

PostPosted: Thu 07-02-2009 6:26AM 
Brigadier General

Worseley wrote:
I saw that, from what I gathered the game would still be over a LAN (Lan speeds) but it needs to be setup through their servers.

Hope we can get this soon.

Company of Heroes is an excellent example of how this currently works. Never had an problems with it at all.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat 07-11-2009 9:26AM 
Brigadier General

I grew up in the country. I never had broadband until I came to Rolla. If games didn't have lan I would have been fucked. There are still millions of people who don't have access to broadband. ATM the lan issue isn't a big deal to me, but I know for many people it will be. That's why I am not going to buy it. They are only doing it for their own advantage. Don't be so naive as to think it's for the consumer good.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 07-16-2009 6:08AM 
Brigadier General

Fall0ut-Boy wrote:
I grew up in the country. I never had broadband until I came to Rolla. If games didn't have lan I would have been fucked. There are still millions of people who don't have access to broadband. ATM the lan issue isn't a big deal to me, but I know for many people it will be. That's why I am not going to buy it. They are only doing it for their own advantage. Don't be so naive as to think it's for the consumer good.

The original starcraft/warcraft/diable and even WoW have been hacked so that you can run your own private battle.net server. You could just wait till that happens and then play on your LAN.

Profile E-mail