Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 5:46AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 02-01-2006 1:25AM 
Major

Source: Somewhere On Campus
Thanks for working to make Seek better. Any minor inconveniences, I can deal with. The new shit looks good!

Carl

P.S. - I would like to see the optional links on the frontpage come back. But get to it when you can. =)
_______

Report this post    Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 02-01-2006 1:26AM 
Spanish

Source: VPN
awsome, thanks for the support! :D

Profile E-mail  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 02-01-2006 2:10AM 
Brigadier General

Source: Nagogami
Trippstorm wrote:
The new shit looks good!

I concur

Profile E-mail  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 02-01-2006 3:21PM 
Gun Hater

Source: TJ North
Paradigm wrote:
mad duck wrote:
Still having the problem with not all new posts being flagged as new. I have Seek set as my homepage (w00t), and i think every time I view the page (which is every time I open a webpage), it counts as visiting the forums too. I don't know if it was a convenient fluke of the previous version, but it'd be nice to have that back.

I've seen the same thing. Visits to the homepage of Seek seem to tag you as having visited the forums.

THat is to teach you some loyalty. if you go to seek, you should visit the forums. if not, the forums will have no respect for you and will not show you which posts are new.

And the tongue is a flame of fire. It is full of wickedness that can ruin your whole life. It can turn the entire course of your life into a blazing flame of destruction, for it is set on fire by hell itself.

Profile E-mail  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 02-01-2006 9:44PM 
Colonel

Source: Kelly Hall
So, am I to understand that the new machine will only support 5 users at once?

How much/what type of RAM do you have in this sucker?

-jkpq45

DeeperBlueServer:
Sempron 3100+, 512MB RAM, 6*250GB in RAID5 (1250GB capacity)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 02-01-2006 9:56PM 
Major General

Source: RC I
The one thing I wish was back is the weather display. I know it's easy enough to get it somewhere else, but it was nice during my morning check of e-mail and seek forums to see the weather there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 02-01-2006 10:06PM 
Colonel

Above post deleted in 3... 2...

-jkpq45

DeeperBlueServer:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 02-01-2006 10:09PM 
Spanish

Source: Fidelity

Profile E-mail  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 02-01-2006 10:11PM 
Spanish

Source: Fidelity
jkpq45 wrote:
So, am I to understand that the new machine will only support 5 users at once?

How much/what type of RAM do you have in this sucker?

-jkpq45

it can support more than that, the once every 10 seconds is an estimated observation of the access log. This box has a gig of PC2700 ram in it, but i'm starting to think some of the ram is bad.

Profile E-mail  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 02-01-2006 10:30PM 
Major General

jkpq45 wrote:
Above post deleted in 3... 2...

-jkpq45

Hey, what's that all about Mr. I-Can't-Tell-High-Definition-T.V.'s from WalMart pieces of crap?

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 02-01-2006 10:35PM 
Colonel

I'd post a snappy retort much faster, but the server says it's busy.

[/TV-dumbassery]
-jkpq45

DeeperBlueServer:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 02-01-2006 10:46PM 
Spanish

yeah sorry about that, i'm putting NOS stickers on the side of the machine to make it go faster... racing stripes and case lights soon to come.

Profile E-mail  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 02-01-2006 11:03PM 
Major General

heretic^ wrote:
yeah sorry about that, i'm putting NOS stickers on the side of the machine to make it go faster... racing stripes and case lights soon to come.

Sweet.. maybe you can get some NOS to vent out of the fans.. or maybe dust would work the same.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 02-02-2006 1:13AM 
"para-dime"

All right, here we go... a tactful, thought out post, that takes into consideration the inexistence of my contributions to the Seek project.

I like the old Seek42 better. I'm in the subset of people that still uses Internet Explorer for my default browser. This may be the minority of Seek users, and I'm willing to accept that. I know nothing of web programming, but I have several suggestions that may be implementable with little effort.

1. I liked the advanced search on the main page. It didn't clutter it too much in my opinion and made files easier to find. I rarely use the default *any file type* search.
2. I liked how Ryan had set up the search results page. In the beginning of Seek, it was much how it is implemented now, just a return of your search criteria. By the time Seek was turned over to AJ, the search results page had evolved a fairly sophisticated functionality. Between sorting file results (iirc) and removing duplicate files, the search results page was simply better than it is now. I do like the file/text formatting that is used now though.
3. Server busy messages need to be removed. Ryan was proud of the high accessability ratio of Seek42, but I think AJ is working on fixing this diligently.

I may edit this post as I think of other things. I am willing to accept that some of the features that I enjoyed in the past Seek need to be re-implemented and that may take time. From where I'm standing, and other IE users, we lost a lot of functionality for the ability for Firefox/Opera/*nix users to get working links. Would it be possible at all to implement a "legacy" version of Seek (seek42.net/old or something) where the old Seek could be accesssed. Or different versions for Firefox and IE? Again, I know nothing of internet programming or the cost this would have on the Seek processor, but it's my idea.

Hopefully this won't get deleted as it seems some other posts have been. I don't mean to offend or slight the efforts of the new Seek creators, there just seems to be room for improvement from my pov.

Profile E-mail  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 02-02-2006 1:48AM 
Spanish

Paradigm wrote:
All right, here we go... a tactful, thought out post, that takes into consideration the inexistence of my contributions to the Seek project.

I like the old Seek42 better. I'm in the subset of people that still uses Internet Explorer for my default browser. This may be the minority of Seek users, and I'm willing to accept that. I know nothing of web programming, but I have several suggestions that may be implementable with little effort.

1. I liked the advanced search on the main page. It didn't clutter it too much in my opinion and made files easier to find. I rarely use the default *any file type* search.
2. I liked how Ryan had set up the search results page. In the beginning of Seek, it was much how it is implemented now, just a return of your search criteria. By the time Seek was turned over to AJ, the search results page had evolved a fairly sophisticated functionality. Between sorting file results (iirc) and removing duplicate files, the search results page was simply better than it is now. I do like the file/text formatting that is used now though.
3. Server busy messages need to be removed. Ryan was proud of the high accessability ratio of Seek42, but I think AJ is working on fixing this diligently.

I may edit this post as I think of other things. I am willing to accept that some of the features that I enjoyed in the past Seek need to be re-implemented and that may take time. From where I'm standing, and other IE users, we lost a lot of functionality for the ability for Firefox/Opera/*nix users to get working links. Would it be possible at all to implement a "legacy" version of Seek (seek42.net/old or something) where the old Seek could be accesssed. Or different versions for Firefox and IE? Again, I know nothing of internet programming or the cost this would have on the Seek processor, but it's my idea.

Hopefully this won't get deleted as it seems some other posts have been. I don't mean to offend or slight the efforts of the new Seek creators, there just seems to be room for improvement from my pov.

Thank you for a well thought-out post, also pertaining to deleted posts, the only posts that have been deleted are ones that explicitly mention entities of an undesireable nature (breaking forum rules). Yes there is alot of functionality missing from the old Seek42, and YES they will be re-implimented. Seek42 had roughly 5 years to evolve to what it was as you all knew it. This seek has been out for roughly a week, and i'm already recieving hellfire from zealots (not you tim). As for the busy server messages, yes I am working on it (to the point of madness). Legacy version? I highly doubt it sorry =\

Profile E-mail  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next